Thursday, July 4, 2013

UPDATE JULY 4TH

May 1st

My goal over the next 5 weeks is to stay in ketosis. I am increasing my calories to 1250 and relaxing my macro ratio to 10% carbs, 25% protein; 65% fat

I hope to lose another 3 - 4 kg in that period........

If I don't stay in ketosis or lose at least 0.5 kg per week I will change things toward my modified fat fast.

The above ratio seemed to be working but ......


May 8th

This is easier said than done.

My Modified Fat Fast took place between April 18th to 28th. Since then I've been all over the place. Some days in ketosis other days I chose to eat desserts or higher carbs and calories. My weight loss has become unstable over the last week and I see that as a direst result of eating desserts and increasing my carbs. I'm doing something rather drastic today and eating low cal as close to 4% carb; 6% protein; 90% fat. Hopefully this will put me right back into ketosis and I will feel more lively.

Eating those desserts certainly lowered my mood and I had to struggle with some grumpiness. I was also 3 kg up in weight this morning. I know that's not real weight but it is a warning sign. It could settle on me so easily. I won't have that and unhealthy as it might seem in some people's eye's I am on  a Fat Fast closer to Dana Carpender's version for today and maybe tomorrow depending on my ketone reading.

I can eat at home for the next 4 days. Sunday, Mother's Day, might be another 'off the charts' food day but I'll take more care and hopefully avoid dessert. It will help that I am doing the Mother's Day 5 km walk with Jane and friends.

JUNE

Somehow I managed to maintain my weight loss through May and when we left for two weeks in Christchurch I weighed the same as when I finished the Fat Fast at the end of April. A few days after returning, I found myself up 2 kg and struggling to get back into the routine of tracking.

This coincided with South Island and North Island celebrations of my 75th birthday. Far too many excuses to indulge in desserts.It took me a few days to pull out of this slump.

I ended the month with three days Fat Fasting. This time I chose to go with 1000 calories with a ratio of 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. This went well. I felt good and lost 3 kg so that I was able to show a loss of 1 kg for the month.

JULY

The last few days have been a bit up and down. One thing I know is that I feel so sluggish when I eat too much. It pays me to keep track of the total calories and staying under 20gm carb certainly feels more comfortable. But I miss veggies. It is a learning process to make the most of veggies with the lowest carbohydrate count. The last three days worked out like this.....

Tuesday:- Calories 1632

  • Carbs 28 gm
  • Protein 82 gm
  • Fat 137 gm
Wednesday:- Calories 1345
  • Carbs 36 gm
  • Protein 53 gm
  • Fat 111 gm
Thursday:- Calories 918
  • Carbs 13 gm
  • Protein 36 gm
  • Fat 82 gm
I feel good tonight and was not hungry during the day. I will go to bed without eating anything more except maybe a couple of almonds. Last night was a different story but that may have been because I did not move enough during the day because I spent too much time knitting.

The thing that continues to amaze me is that I am keeping the weight off. I have been working at this weight loss thing fr 18 months straight. That has never happened before. The amazing thing is that not only do I have the will to continue but I am determined to do so.

And it is comparatively easy. 

I don't enjoy the long period of slow weight loss that looks too much like a plateau for my comfort.

I am hoping that as I continue to work to stay in nutritional ketosis that I will lose weight on a regular basis again.

I am thinking of doing a three day Fat Fast toward the end of each month. It's a routine that would help me to stay in nutritional ketosis ling term.








No comments:

Post a Comment