Thursday, December 19, 2013

DECEMBER 7TH BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR CRAIG

The last few days have gone by without any recording or tracking .... I expect the usual result ... weight gain GRRR!

We have visitors from Hawaii. Such fun. Made birthday cake yesterday for him.
I found something I thought might work on-line and adapted it These measurements are a bit rough but you get the idea and I will work on this one and see if I can improve it. I also need to take photos as it's a cute idea.

Coconut, Lemon Berry Birthday Cake, or friands, or muffins.

Serves: 4

I have 4 special terracotta plant pots which have been glazed on the inside. They are perfect for single serve cakes or large muffins. I line the base with a little circle of baking paper, (They still have the little drainage hole the plant pots have so I have to cover it), and butter the sides. 

⅔ cup coconut flour, sifted
5 eggs
⅓ coconut milk
rounded dessert spoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2/3 cup frozen strawberries or any mixed berries chopped into chunks

For the frosting
I whipped together some soft butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice

Instructions
Preheat oven to 175'C or 350'F degrees.
Break up any lumps in the coconut flour 
Add eggs and coconut milk. Mix until smooth.
Add the honey, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. Mix well to combine.
Fold in fruit.

Spoon the mixture into prepared baking dishes or cake tin.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until slightly brown on the top and cooked through in the middle. Do the toothpick test to check.
Allow to cool till you can handle them comfortably before removing from baking container.

Top with a swirl of frosting and decorate with fresh strawberries. 

We had the numbers 6 and 7 candles so Craig got to light his candles while we sang Happy Birthday. We ate the cake with whipped cream and they were delicious and not at all sweet. But I will play with this a couple of times or two because I think I could have used more lemon juice and I want to see what happens if I use even less honey and a few drops of stevia.

Today is more food and more friends and family Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment